Research Output per year
- Application of advanced materials in structural engineering, with a focus on strengthening and retrofitting of concrete, masonry and timber structures.
- Cement-based and polymer-based composites.
- Steel-concrete composite structures, prefabricated structural sandwich panels.
- Lightweight materials (concrete, cellular materials).
- Structural health monitoring.
Thanasis Triantafillou received a Diploma in Civil Engineering from the University of Patras (UPAT), Greece (1985), and an MSc and PhD in Structural Engineering from MIT in 1987 and 1989, respectively. He is a Professor in the Department of Civil engineering at UPAT and director of the Structural Materials Laboratory. He is a Visiting Global Distinguished Professor of Civil and Urban Engineering at NYUAD. Prior to joining UPAT, he served as an assistant professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at MIT (1990-93).
Honors and Awards
- IIFC (International Institute for FRP in Construction) Medal of outstanding research impact (2010).
- Golden Mirko Roš Medal for life’s work in the field of Materials and Engineering Science (2007), Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research (EMPA).
- Best Basic Research Paper Award in 2003, ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, for the paper: Antonopoulos, C. P. and Triantafillou, T. C. (2003). “Experimental Investigation of FRP-Strengthened RC Beam-Column Joints”, 7(1), 39-49.
- Honorable Mention Applied Research Paper Award in 2002, ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, for the paper (names in alphabetical order): Bakis, C. E., Bank, L. C., Brown, V. L., Cosenza, E., Davalos, J. Lesko, J. J., Machida, A., Rizkalla, S. H., and Triantafillou, T. C. (2002). “Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Composites for Construction – State-of-the-Art Review”, 6(2), 73-87.
- Best Research Paper Award in 1997, ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, for the paper: Triantafillou, T. C. (1997). “Shear Reinforcement of Wood Using FRP Materials”, 9(2), 65-69.
- Fulbright Senior Research Award, 1996.
Civil Engineering, PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Award Date: Jun 5 1989
Civil Engineering, MSc, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Award Date: Feb 18 1987
Civil Engineering, Diploma, University of Patras
Award Date: Sep 12 1985
Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Patras
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference contribution
Research output: Book/Report › Book
Combined seismic and energy upgrading of existing reinforced concrete buildings using TRM jacketing and thermal insulationGkournelos, P. D., Bournas, D. A. & Triantafillou, T. C., May 1 2019, In : Earthquake and Structures. 16, 5, p. 625-639 15 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article