Bandwidth equalization using a simple complementary metal-oxide- semiconductor-compatible tunable silicon-ring modulator is shown.We demonstrate >35-GHz small signal bandwidth and use the resonator to mitigate bandwidth limitations from other measurement system components. Configuring the optical carrier to be OFF resonance within the ring free-spectral range allows high-frequency enhancement and low-frequency suppression of the S21 parameter to achieve system response equalization. Our results suggest that the carrier and modulation sidebands can have very different transient characteristics within the ring modulator.
- Fiber-optics communications
- Integrated optics devices
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering