Prevalence of asthma at a school-based health clinic in Nicaragua

Nancy Cantey Banasiak, Mikki Meadows-Oliver

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

Abstract

Background: Worldwide, it is estimated that 235-334 million people have been diagnosed with asthma. In Nicaragua, the current asthma rate for children 13–14 years of age was 15.2%. Purpose: The purpose of this study was to determine the prevalence of asthma at this school-based health clinic in Managua, Nicaragua, associated symptoms or diseases, determine asthma classification, medications, and hospitalization rates. Methods: A retrospective chart review was performed on all pediatric patient's medical records seen in the clinic during a 5-day period (n = 105). Results: A total of 23 patients (21.9%) had asthma documented in the medical chart and were included in the analysis. Of the 23 patients, 3 (13%) patients were classified with intermittent asthma while the rest of the patients (87%) were not classified. Albuterol was prescribed for 19 (86%) of the patients with two patients who had both albuterol and QVAR® prescribed. Six (26%) patients had a family history of asthma. Discussion: This study demonstrated the prevalence of asthma in school-aged children in Nicaragua is significant and higher than previously reported. The lack of a classification of asthma prevents patients from potentially being treated appropriately.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Article numbere12289
JournalJournal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing
Volume25
Issue number3
DOIs
StatePublished - Jul 1 2020

Keywords

  • asthma
  • international
  • pediatrics
  • school-based health center

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pediatrics

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Prevalence of asthma at a school-based health clinic in Nicaragua'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this