The morphology of price dispersion

Greg Kaplan, Guido Menzio

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

    Abstract

    This article is a study of the shape and structure of the distribution of prices at which an identical good is sold in a given market and time period. We find that the typical price distribution is symmetric and leptokurtic, with a standard deviation between 19% and 36%. Only 10% of the variance of prices is due to variation in the expensiveness of the stores at which a good is sold, whereas the remaining 90% is due, in approximately equal parts, to differences in the average price of a good across equally expensive stores and to differences in the price of a good across transactions at the same store. We show that the distribution of prices that households pay for the same bundle of goods is approximately Normal, with a standard deviation between 9% and 14%. Half of this dispersion is due to differences in the expensiveness of the stores where households shop, whereas the other half is mostly due to differences in households' choices of which goods to purchase at which stores. We find that households with fewer employed members pay lower prices and do so by visiting a larger number of stores instead of by shopping more frequently.

    Original languageEnglish (US)
    Pages (from-to)1165-1206
    Number of pages42
    JournalInternational Economic Review
    Volume56
    Issue number4
    DOIs
    StatePublished - Nov 2015

    ASJC Scopus subject areas

    • Economics and Econometrics

    Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'The morphology of price dispersion'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

    Cite this